Monday, September 23, 2013

Crisis Hangover

Inspirational song: Coconut (Harry Nilsson)

I still have a crisis hangover today. I had a hard time coming back to the silence of my house. There was no sound of construction (or demolition phase thereof), no problem finding a comfortable place to sit, and no sense that I should be doing something more than I was. It feels wrong. I will pick up the pace tomorrow, but I'm glad I took a day to recover. I have had a sharp bellyache all day, reminiscent of the problem that landed me in the hospital and stole the first four months of this year from me. One day of stillness is well and good, but I don't have the luxury of time right now. There is too much to do to get the condos repaired. I took a two hour nap on the couch--no, let's be honest, it took me--and when I woke, I had no idea where I was. But at least the pain has faded to a tolerable level. I choose to believe I will win this round over it.

Today was supposed to be the day the project manager evaluated our cabinets, to let us know whether the condos can be lived in at all during the rebuild. If they came by, they did it while my daughter and brother were asleep. I haven't gotten a phone message or email with a report as of bedtime tonight. This is the biggest detail I'm waiting for, and I'm stressed over waiting this long for an answer. Now that I'm back to reality, I need to find a dealer of real linoleum, so that I can see it in person, and touch it to be sure that it is what I want to put down in place of carpeting. It's a very green product, and it's softer and warmer than tile. The chance that cats or dogs could ruin it they way they do wall to wall carpeting is less. I'm not sure what I will choose if not linoleum. Maybe cork. I would have liked bamboo, which might be okay with the moisture risk in a garden level condo, but I don't feel like poisoning my children or tenants with formaldehyde off-gassing. I also need to think about paint colors. I told my daughter to select calmer, less saturated colors, something that can be a uniform base coat throughout with a few accent walls of deeper colors. You would think I told her she had to wear only a drab jumpsuit for the rest of her life. She presented me the paint chips she selected, and she and her fiancé have been upset with me ever since I said no to the lot.

The club I was so deeply involved with last year started activities back up last week while I was gone. Tomorrow is the first event I will attend, and it is going to be a serious gearshift to go back to that world after the one I just left. I'm going to try, but it's going to be weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment