Thursday, September 19, 2013

Normalcy

Inspirational song: Pleasant Valley Sunday (The Monkees)

I'm tired of disaster pictures. I looked at some on Facebook taken by a chopper pilot, and it just made my stomach clench. I am ready to get back to normal life. I went to bed early last night, I woke up at a decent time, and rounded up a couple of the kids for a trip to my regular haunts. Every trip to Boulder, or nearly every one, we go to my favorite local creole restaurant, and I go to my favorite hippie jewelry shop. I find comfort in those routines, even if all I get from the restaurant is a spiced tea and order of begniets to go, or all I get from the hippie store is a little pack of incense. I feel renewed and restocked. 

The younger daughter and her fiancé met with FEMA today, to have their interview and cataloging of the damage to their personal belongings. It looks like they will qualify for some level of assistance, to help with them being unable to live in their home for weeks to months while the repairs are happening. This is a huge relief. They discussed the damage to their furniture and some of their belongings as well, but I don't know how much help they will get there. Hopefully enough to replace the important things that got wet, even if the little things like ruined books are out of pocket.

We also had our chance to meet up with all of the key players today, the HOA board reps, the restoration company owner and team leaders, and all of us owners and residents of the complex. The information presented was good, the Q&A session was very helpful, and we all had a chance at the end to mill about and cover any loose ends. My key questions were first to verify that the tile in my younger daughter's apartment (that might once have been very fancy stone tiles, for all I can tell), where the microbe-packed water seeped into hundreds of cracks that may or may not have existed in them previously, will all come out and be part of the restoration project. Then I made sure we were on the board president's spreadsheet to look at the ceiling leak that compounded our issues in her unit. And finally, I asked the project manager why all the carpet in both units except my older daughter's bedroom was removed, and if we pull it out ourselves, will we be able to have his installers run the same flooring throughout. I got the answers I hoped for throughout. I am happy.

On the walk around to the meeting, I saw the landscaping crew was there, cutting the grass right next to where the last of the caution tape remains. It seemed so out of place to me. Why was that? Why was my impulse to wonder who would bother keeping the grass tidy while there was total loss within arm's reach, literally? I guess I am not the only one who is ready for it all to become normal again.


No comments:

Post a Comment