Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Lemonade

Inspirational song: Jubilation Day (Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers) 

My iPad says it has ten percent battery left. I am fairly certain I have less than that in me tonight. It is only because I promised myself to write every single day without fail that I find myself typing away in the blogger app. I don't know what to attribute for tonight's excessive fatigue. It could be the altitude. Or maybe it's the change in diet to more opportunistic eating. Or maybe it's just the huge relief from the stress and fear and uncertainty I felt a few days ago to the faith in the skills and crisis management coming from the HOA and its contracted representatives. I have gotten good news on top of good news every time I've talked to them or seen them in action. We have been trying to figure out how to afford the materials to replace the ruined carpets and drywall, and now that I'm here, I'm finding out that the flood coverage is taking care of just about everything. I just have to make sure I'm visible so that they remember to come up to our side of the complex sometimes (since the lower units were so heavily flooded and are much higher priority.)

I don't want to game the system. I am, all the way to my core, a compulsively honest person. I can't keep secrets; I can't cheat people. So when the little bits of water that came in to the older daughter's condo were enough to rip out the carpet in almost the entire place (maybe her bedroom will be done tomorrow?), and replace it with the same quality, same product, or with an allowance toward an upgrade, I really feel like I'm getting away with something naughty. I know this is what the insurance policy was purchased for. This was literally the rainy day they saved for. But I can't help feeling like I'm taking too much, and also taking too much pleasure in it. The carpet my grandpuppy peed on was hauled away today. If I can convince the man, we will put down natural, high-quality, green construction linoleum. And I will never again have to worry about a daughter who works a night job oversleeping and not getting the dog outside first thing in the morning. This horrific tragedy is actually going to work out to be a boon for me. I'm not kidding, this gives me guilt! I feel like I need to turn around and do something to balance out this cosmic debt. If I have too much, when so many people lost everything and didn't get the flood insurance, I will not be able to live with myself. I'm going to be on the lookout for a way to share my good fortune.

Today's photos were mostly signs of damage, and wet concrete where the damaged carpet was ripped away. That, and the storm clouds that blew in mid-afternoon, with a few sprinkles and a LOT of wind. And after the floods and hail from Aurora and darkness that came with the quick storm... Of Course I would see a locust in the Safeway parking lot. Of course!!

No comments:

Post a Comment