Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Give Me a Break

Inspirational song: You're So Vain (Carly Simon)

I'm tired of being moody and depressed. I need a break from being Debbie Downer. I have too much drama and angst, and I don't need to keep throwing it out here. So today, I'm keeping it light. Multi-colored twinkle light, even. I finally opened up another string of lights, but in lieu of a tree, I draped it across the mantle. I turned on the white lights in the ficus, and I'm letting the color changing ornament and television cast more flashing colored light into my darkened living room. Even if it isn't making me want to sing carols, it is definitely lightening my heart. I have been singing full-throated all day, but it was less seasonal and more Another One Bites the Dust, What Would Willie Do, and You're So Vain. There are days when singing and dancing around the house like a huge nerd are the most important things I can do. Today was one of those days. And I feel significantly better for having done it. I don't feel dignified, but I feel stronger.

On short notice, I decided to dash out to where the club was doing gift wrapping for donations. I'm glad I went. I enjoy wrapping presents when I have a nice, open table, at the right height, with no helpful kitties jumping into the middle of everything to kill-kill the scissors that are making That Noise in the paper. My wrapping partner said she's going to bring her presents tomorrow so she can do all her stuff there. I am sorely tempted to copy her, even though I don't have very many things. That way, I wouldn't have to pull down the wrapping paper box from the garage.

I don't have a lot to write about,  as I am in a mellow, relaxed place right now. So how about this: who do you think You're So Vain is about? I've long favored the Warren Beatty theory. Someone tried to suggest that the apricot scarf refers to Nick Nolte, but I picture Warren in that scarf. I can't believe that song has been around over forty years. I think I have loved it all that time, since I was old enough to know how to sing along with the radio. I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee...

No comments:

Post a Comment