Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Right in the Feels

Inspirational song: O Tannenbaum (Ernst Anschutz)

You know that feeling, when someone surprises you with a gesture so sweet, simple, and so unexpected, that you find yourself entirely overwhelmed, and wondering whether you are really a worthy recipient? There I was today, back at the gift wrapping table, trying not to suddenly start crying because I was given such a nice holiday wish. My buddy, who manned the gift wrapping table with me last night, was there again today. She had listened to me talk about how hard it was to find my holiday spirit this year, with my family all spread out and us all stressed to the edge. She knew how little I had decorated. So today, she handed me a little two-foot tall table top tree, a pack of colored lights, and a box of red ornaments. She even gave me unbreakable ornaments, pointing out that the kitten can't break them (or so we assume). She remembered that it was baby's first Christmas. I'm still getting a little choked up, six or seven hours later. I know she will read this, and all I can say is, Thank you, friend. You made the Grinch's heart grow three sizes today.

As we predicted, the kitten has already investigated the little tree. While I was determined to keep her out of it, and had to get the squirt bottle to reinforce my directives, I was very amused that I have a miniature tree to tempt a miniature cat. She is all of six months old now, and she is showing no signs yet of being a very big girl. I hope she does stay little. My Minions of Chaos, the two closest to her in age, are giant bruisers, and I like them that way. I like variety, and I am happy to have a tiny little fuzzpants in the Pride as well. She can be a challenge, acting a little bi-polar and bitey, but when she wants to be sweet, there is no more affectionately cuddly baby than she. It's like watching a generally naughty toddler try so hard to be good for Santa. She has been making eyes at me all week. I guess Santa may have to come to our house after all.

I need to take tomorrow off from gift wrapping for donations. I need to get my own presents finished and in the mail. I'm starting to think that my craft item is not yet at the right concentration, and now I need to figure out how to get more of the raw materials, that I had ordered off the internet, in time. Buying retail is going to be spendy. But if I pull this off, it will be worth it. Tomorrow I will be back to my new motto: Art Harder.


No comments:

Post a Comment