Saturday, December 7, 2013

Go, Team

Inspirational song: Battle Hymn of the Republic (Julia Ward Howe)

This cannot possibly be December. Sure the rest of the country is blanketed with snow and ice, but we have none of that stuff here. I spent a little time outside this afternoon, and the air was so warm, I could have believed it was September. To be fair, maybe all the leaves on the ground make it feel like October. No wonder I just can't get into that holiday mood. I miss the days when December felt special, like it transcended time. I think the school calendar affected a lot of how I viewed the different months. I loved having special time to make projects with construction paper, write seasonal reports, and see the classroom decorations change. Maybe I should have been a schoolteacher. It's probably too late to make that career change.

Today was a good "be true to your school" day. I was invited to watch the SEC championship game, and to have a little chili and adult beverages. I couldn't say yes fast enough. I was happy to cheer for Auburn, along with my hosts. I never attended there, but I always enjoyed watching Alabama-based teams play. It's a holdover from spending so many holidays and summer breaks there. It was a hell of a game tonight. Very high scoring, with a running back who would not be stopped. I noticed the Auburn band plays the same fight song my school does (Glory). I liked that.

I spent the first half of the football game hitting refresh on my phone, watching the score of the Colorado basketball game. I remembered hours after I accepted the invitation that CU played today. What a sports addict I am. And I make no apologies for that. I have learned what makes me happy, and I lose myself in the experience. I see no reason to deny myself that little joy. And today's game was certainly a joy. I came home from the football party to find I had set my DVR days ago, and there was the basketball game waiting for me. Watch it, already knowing that we beat Kansas for the first time in years? Don't mind if I do. Go, team!

No comments:

Post a Comment