Sunday, December 22, 2013

It's Wanting What You've Got

Inspirational song: Soak Up the Sun (Sheryl Crow)

It was another beautiful day today. It would have been great, if this were March. It's warm and humid and I have flowers blooming. I let the dogs spend about four hours outside this morning, and didn't worry that they would be too cold. And yet, this was the second day of winter. My parents and brother have been showing off pictures of snow and ice, and in some cases, ice damage, and here I was, wondering which windows I should open. I think next year, I would like a white Christmas. And yes, if by next year I'm living someplace where I get feet of snow (hey, it could happen), you have my permission to throw my words back in my face when I decide I'm tired of cold and snow.

I'm trying very hard not to fall into the trap of retail therapy. I have railed against consumerism often enough that I need to walk my talk. Yes, I replaced a few key pieces of electronics in the last few months, but for the most part, I have tried not to go and shop aimlessly. When one is alone and bored, flashy new clothes, or books, or colorful bits of plastic for the house can trick us into thinking they will bring joy and amusement. There might even be a little thrill from getting something at a great price. But this year, there just doesn't seem to be anything in it for me. I'm having more fun getting rid of things than bringing anything into the house. I'm even doing this with food. I am getting better than I ever have before of reminding myself to use up what I've got before I buy more. In the past, I let so much food spoil because I was bored with it and would buy more rather than eat something I already had. I buy lotions and candles and all sorts of things, and leave the last little bits of old ones in cabinets and closets all over the house. This has been my challenge to myself, to use what I have, and stop collecting. I'm slowly getting the hang of it. I'll let you know when I can actually tell that I'm saving money and space too.

The day was so nice, I made myself go out for an hour to do a little yardwork. I bagged up a couple large piles of leaves, and left another couple waiting for me to get a second wind that never came. For the record, I do not have any oak trees growing in the Park. (See photo) Not that it makes a difference, I suppose. Once they blow into my yard, they become mine. And if I am to be happy with what I've got, and stop buying for the sake of buying, I suppose I should take down the flag, and get out the darning needles. And maybe a little fabric paint to freshen it up. There might be a little life left in the one I already have. It will be great practice for kicking the retail therapy habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment