Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Later On, We'll Conspire

Inspirational song: One More Sleep 'Til Christmas (Muppet Christmas Carol)

If one has to be away from family at the holidays, it helps to have a substitute family like I have here. I was kept far away from the lonely blues today. I hope my friends and the strangers who kept me entertained today know how much I appreciate them.

This morning's opening act was my first attempt at microwave peanut brittle in many years. I think it helps if you thoroughly stir the sugar and corn syrup before you start, rather than assuming they will combine with the heat. Turns out, it doesn't work that way. Lesson learned.  From there, I showed up for the last shift at the gift wrap table. We were kept busy the whole day, and brought in a decent jarful of tips for the club's operating budget. I talked to some cool people, including a man who lived in the same town in North Carolina as I did, at the same time as I was there, whose kids went to the same elementary school as mine and were patrons of the library where I worked. He even got his masters from the same university as I did. We high fived, and then he went on his way. It was an interesting connection. I also talked to a military man who had just returned from Afghanistan, and was buying a handful of gifts, and then driving to Atlanta to surprise his family who didn't know he was home. I enjoyed wrapping those gifts, even knowing the real present was the man himself. And of course, I got to spend more time with my buddy who is still deeply devoted to the club. She and I started out as vice presidents together, and she must have more fortitude than I to still be at it, while I had to take the last six months to be a hermit, to get my head on straight.

My evening is concluding with my local family, the Bonfires. The company here is unparalleled (even though they are grumpy with me for hiding in a quiet place to write). I needed a place to unwind, drink a few glasses of wine, and listen to tales of Christmases past. And as we all huddled around the fire, the cold weather I have been begging for all month finally arrived. It's chilly (44 feels like 39), and it is plenty warm between the fire and the friends. So as The Most Wonderful Time of the Year plays on the radio, finally I can agree.  I think I found my spirit, just in time.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment