Monday, December 9, 2013

Sewing Room

Inspirational song: Lookin' Out My Back Door (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

I'm not sure I should have left the house today. I should have stayed home, looking through the windows, enjoying the fog rolling in and out, through the trees and over the leaf-lined lawn. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy myself having lunch with the ladies, or shopping for materials to make a dog bed, but I had no business driving around while feeling as awful as I have all day. I don't know whether I'm fighting a bug or being punished for indulging in wheat-containing foods when I was invited out Saturday. It doesn't matter. They both feel about the same.

The first time we lived in California, we spent about 9 months in a run-down little house a few short miles from the coast. We were in the Central Coast area, close enough to the area where Sideways was filmed to have visited several of those wineries and restaurants they featured. We went about six months without a single raindrop falling (not kidding), but almost every single night, the sea layer would roll in with the sunset, and blanket the entire area with fog. I really miss it. I always loved fog and mist. I had hoped, when we moved here, that I would get a little of that sea layer again. I can't say that I remember a single day like today in the two and a half years we've been here. It was foggy this morning, clear while I was at lunch, and by the time I went out after dark to shop, it had started to roll in again. It made me think fondly of those Central Coast evenings. But in my less than healthy state of mind and body, it was a little disorienting to drive in the fog.

For the first time in years, I own a sewing machine. I gave my old one to my daughter, who taught herself to sew and design clothes with the fashion club. I was glad it went to good use, but I missed having one around. The red-headed dog has started to look sore and limpy when he sleeps on the cold wood floor, since he can't seem to spend time more than five feet away from me when he's inside. I decided it was time I made him a cushy warm bed for downstairs, and I might improve his upstairs bed, so that he doesn't have so much obvious pain. But this machine that arrived today is way more complicated that my old metal Bernina from 1978. It's all computerized buttons and trickery. I have no idea where to start. I'm sure it's my stomach bug that is keeping me from feeling up to learning the new toy. I've been wanting this thing for years, and now that it's here, it just makes my stomach clench every time I think about opening the instruction manual. I need that dog to come make sad eyes at me, to push me to sew the dog bed. And I need that Angry Ewok to stop getting in the middle of everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment