Friday, June 12, 2015

End In Sight

Inspirational song: Who'll Stop the Rain (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

As I stood, staring dejectedly at the debris pile in my living room, I wondered exactly how stupid am I? I know full well how much I hate packing the last fragments of possessions. It is incredibly hard, not seeing the mess, but seeing instead the finish line. Much as I-35 southbound grows longer as you travel between the Kansas border and Oklahoma City, my goal line just keeps dancing backwards, moving farther away the faster I hurtle towards it. Really, I am looking mostly at surplus cardboard boxes and packing material, but I need to look past all that to find the mismatched pieces that will nest together in dense packages for the last load next week. We have to fit it all in a 6x8 foot trailer, so I can't waste any space this time. I'm getting there.

I keep getting pictures of rain and flooded streets sent to me. I'm pretending that it's not my tiny little car that hydroplanes easily that he's driving around out there. I'm also pretending that these rains will not be as bad as the "400 year" flood from 2013, as we are putting most of our things in storage and ourselves and animals in a garden level apartment. Friends of ours just bought these apartments, sold "as-is," and there is much work to be done to gentrify them (as the neighborhood around them gets the same treatment). High on the list of repair duties is management of the storm drainage system. The picture I received of the flooded parking lot gives me flashbacks, and I didn't even live through the 2013 floods like my kids did. I keep reminding myself, no valuables in the apartment (other than our lives).

I stayed up late working, and woke ridiculously early to get back at it yet again. This time I finished the removal of the carpet and pad and painted the trim along the stairs, according to plan. When the carpet installers came this morning, the lead guy said he didn't care so much whether the pad was out, as long as the air conditioner was running. We got along famously, and I was glad I scheduled them to come while I was still here. They did a great job, and my very neutral, goes with anything carpet looks beautiful. I haven't walked barefoot on it yet, to test out that top-of-the-line pad, because my feet are so sore I couldn't tell the difference now anyway. As long as my buyers notice, and the offer(s) roll in quickly, I will be thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment