Monday, June 8, 2015

In Motion

Inspirational song: Wide Open Spaces  (Dixie Chicks)

I stood in the cul-de-sac and watched my everything drive away. The man left early this afternoon in the Uhaul, towing my car. The plants he put in my car last night were already turning to a crisp, because we forgot to leave the windows open a crack. I told him a version of what I always say, all that matters is safety first. His primarily, and then a distant second, the stuff. As soon as he was off, I carried my one remaining piece of furniture down, a drawer at a time, and then crashed out for a much needed recovery. I had been awake since it was still full dark, and it was finally time for a break.

The men came this morning to replace the French doors to the deck. This time, we have both doors opening from the center, which would have been great for parties here, and the sill plate is installed properly so no more water will seep in. It won't do us much good, except for the ability to pass inspection, but it is much better karma to leave for the new owners. Murray sat in his cage and supervised every step the workmen took, while the cats and I stayed locked in the master bedroom. I painted baseboards and Athena tested out an eight ball costume for Halloween. I hope she likes it, because it isn't coming off any time soon. And it amuses me how slow all the animals are to adapt to a door that opens the other direction from what it has their whole lives. It freaks Zoe out so badly, she hasn't been able to slip out past the dogs. She sniffs the new hinge side of the door and looks puzzled.

The man didn't make it all the way to Birmingham, where he had planned on sleeping. But the chick who needed a three hour nap to survive the day does not judge. I fully support his decision to seek lodging on the Georgia side of that border. Fingers crossed for a vacancy and a hot tub that is still open this late.

No comments:

Post a Comment