Saturday, June 27, 2015

Love Wins

Inspirational song: Pride (In the Name of Love) (U2)

Yesterday was such a monumental watershed moment, and here I am, living out of pocket, without a television, the ability to stream unlimited data on my devices, nor the time management skills to get to a public gathering space to participate in what I believed would be spontaneous dancing in the streets. I was just sure there would be a street party in Boulder when the Supreme Court ruling came down providing full marriage equality, and I had gone to bed Thursday planning on being there before the announcement came. I never made it even close. I never checked the Boulder paper's website, so I choose to believe that street party happened, based on no evidence whatsoever, and in my heart I believe it was fabulous. It never occurred to me once that the ruling would be anything other than full equality. The merchants of hate had no standing, and the constitution is clear. Equal protection under the law has been spelled out quite explicitly. This was the only result possible, and it was the obvious moral choice as well. Love wins.

It might not have been the gayest thing I could think of to do to honor what I suspect is the best Pride week ever, but it was the most self indulgent, and absolutely necessary after the move here. My daughter and I went for pedicures and we both used neon pink polish, plus I had a rainbow flag striped between the two big toes (3 colors each). It feels celebratory. And it's damned cute, if I say so myself.

We went to an open house for that vintage 1950s place that I love so much. I know a little of the history of how it was so well preserved now, and I love it even more for that. We are going to take a crack at it. Success is not guaranteed, not by any means. We will submit an offer and hope that our backstory is compelling enough to the sellers. For all that is holy, I want it to work. I need out of this temporary situation and into a house I can be proud of. Tonight the man and the dogs are off in the mountains in peaceful silence and fresh air. I'm left with noise and smells and crisis (not mine personally, but I am inconvenienced like the rest of the tenants here). I love my friends who set us up here, for giving us safe harbor. I'm ready to move on. Wish us luck winning a bidding war.

No comments:

Post a Comment