Thursday, June 11, 2015

Without Me

Inspirational song: Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

Mister Smith-Park has made it to his birthplace. All is right with the world for this moment in time. He got an early start this morning, and was sending me gloating pictures from the scenic overlook above the valley by noon. Okay, maybe not gloating, but to the one who had to stay behind and paint baseboards, it kind of felt that way for a second.

His first stop upon arriving in town was to drop off the plants at the condo, and pick up the kids to help him unload furniture. He and our daughter sent pictures of the plants at their new temporary home, and it made me a little jealous, not gonna lie. We have a ficus tree that was a wedding present (wow, almost 25 years ago), and it makes me sad that it made it home before I officially did. The weather hasn't been cooperating for his disgorging of household goods. He wrote just now, from a very soggy storage unit, to say that he wasn't aware we had moved to Seattle. Moving is never easy for us, and if a torrential downpour on unloading is the worst thing we face, I will be happy with that. I did notice gasoline jumped up a dime a gallon, just in time for the last leg of the trip. Who knows where it will be next week.

My hands are trashed from tearing out the carpet on the stairs. I lost count of how many times I scraped on the tack strips. I am profoundly grateful that the immunologist insisted I get a tetanus shot a few months ago, when I was getting the retirement special at the clinic. There is still carpet pad in the guest rooms (and there's a little packing debris and cat boxes on top of that, which needs to be carried down). My empty bedroom echoes really well, and Rabbit keeps going in there and singing in her funny croaky voice. It sounds like a child talking into a fan. I am about ready to pack it in for the night and hope that I can wake early enough to finish my job before the carpet installers come.

My daughter wrote, when she sent photos of my plants on her patio, "wish you were here." So do I, kid. So do I. I will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment