Tuesday, August 25, 2015

By the Power

Inspirational song: I'll Fly Away (Alison Krauss)

My reality has been thrown for a loop. I ran into one of the last people on earth I ever imagined I'd see again, in one of the most incongruous places, and I can't process the surprise. I walked past someone in Costco, while I circled the wrong section (looking for dried mango), and as I came back around the aisles to look a second time, I saw Mr Smith-Park showing the guy I passed his drivers license to prove that he really was who he said he was. The man he was talking to, who I passed without really looking, was the man who married us all those years ago. He apparently retired from the ministry some time ago, and keeps his mind and social skills sharp by working part time at Costco, talking to people for a living, and really enjoying it. We spoke for long minutes, but we have a long way to go to fully catch up. So much has happened since that day in the mountains, when we were optimistic and naive kids, talking about forever.

We briefly explored downtown today, for the first time. I learned that there are several shops down there that I simply must visit when I have more time. I also noticed again how much I appreciate someplace where there is public art. Not only does this region excel at sculptures and flower installations, but I've seen lots of places where municipalities have commissioned/allowed transformer boxes to be painted in a variety of styles. If this is one of the places my property taxes go, I am totally fine with that.

I am truly exhausted. We had to do a lot of last minute shopping before Mr S-P goes on a trip, and I wore myself out pretending my back didn't hurt as badly as it did. But since it was worse than I let on (and I complained quite a bit, actually), I came home and swallowed a couple of Advil with a bit of brown liquor. There are still suitcases on my bed, and we need to finish packing them. The airport is a lot longer of a drive here than it was back in the Low Country, so I need my rest before we go. I will worry more about blogging and pictures and storytelling tomorrow.






No comments:

Post a Comment