Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Rachel

Inspirational song: I'll Be There for You (The Rembrandts)

The most glorious thing happened tonight. I left the dogs in the garage for a few hours, while I ran off to see a movie with an old friend, and I came home and immediately let the dogs out to use the facilities. There was a party going on in the yard that backs to ours across the alley, with balloons and  lights and pop music and lots of loud, drunken happy talk. It appears that the star of the show was someone named Rachel, because I kept hearing alcohol-soaked voices yell, "Wooo! Rachel! Yeah! Go! Yeah, Rachel!" It sounded like college-aged celebrants, but all day today, I kept seeing what I thought was a middle-aged neighbor clearing out the lawn and dumping debris in the can by my fence (his can, not mine). Why is this glorious, you wonder? Do you realize the implications of a loud, raucous party? It means that I could let the dogs out to pee for half an hour in the dark tonight, and as much as they are barking their brains out, they are not louder than this party. I win! (To be honest, for the first ten minutes, I think the party scared them a little. They were so confused, they barely barked at all.)

I'm starting to settle into a rhythm while the Mister is off on his exciting vacation. The dogs and I are communicating better than I thought we would. Now I just need to remember to wake up earlier than seven o'clock, like this morning. I overslept and paid the price. Even little Miss Zoe is tolerating me more than I expected. I let her wander around yesterday and today, and two days in a row she came back on her own and sauntered into the house without making me catch her. And darned if she didn't give me a taste of that "I own you, hoomin" lovin' that she gives her daddy. She still spends a lot of time looking in his hangout spots, wondering why he isn't here, though.

My daughter and I spent hours working on her costume today. This thing is going to be spectacular, I can feel it. I can't wait to see it finished, and her dressed up and kitted out for the event. She's going to dye her hair clown red, like the character, and she is already sporting a short haircut that will translate well. She has already goofed around and posed for pictures in the coat, but I will save the full costume reveal until she is on her way to the party. You'll love it.




No comments:

Post a Comment