Sunday, August 9, 2015

Weekend Odyssey

Inspirational song: Sh-Boom (The Crew Cuts)

So, funny story. I was within a few nautical miles of Denver about an hour ago. Now as I start to write, I am in Texas. There was a giant storm cell that from the ground probably looked like just another rain cloud. From the air, it was a lot less cute. We were circling Denver for twenty minutes or so, until they said we were the first to divert to Amarillo to refuel and avoid the massive wind shear associated with this storm.

An hour and a half later, I'm finally on the ground in Denver, exhausted and feeling like we passed a major test. The lightning was constant out my window, but it was the wind that sent us hundreds of miles out of our way. I've been in worse turbulence before, but this was the first time I could see the problem so clearly out my window. And while I am glad this wasn't the worst bouncing I've ever experienced, it was certainly plenty sporty.

I'm not going to pretend I wasn't nervous on this flight, or at least concerned that when we met the ground, it would not be on our own terms. The friend I stayed with Friday night is quite well-versed in the language of air traffic control, to the point of giving me an instructional tour of a training facility this weekend. With his lessons fresh in my mind, I entertained myself imagining the flurry of activity in the tower and TRACon (if I have the acronym right) while they sent all incoming traffic to Denver in circles waiting out the storm cells, and then handing them all off to other control centers in all directions as flights were diverted. I'm not interested enough to change my career plans and go study ATC, but it was better to imagine the blips on the radar screens than to let my imagination run wild remembering stories of wind shear induced crashes.

I had a fantastic weekend. I learned what cool, funny people my old classmates grew up to become. I spent time with family and felt connected to my youth and heritage. I had a chance to see my old stomping grounds with a critical adult eye. I tested my navigational memory, and passed. I will be releasing sets of photos in batches over the week. There is too much to do it all at once. And as I am still not home yet, I will start tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment