Saturday, August 1, 2015

My Left Foot

Inspirational song: Sudden Impact! (Big Audio Dynamite)

Well, that's going to slow me down a bit. I was trying to clean up the kitchen after breakfast, to put away a few more things from the move. I was juggling a couple dozen kebab skewers, a pizza peel, and a round cutting board, while I clamped another large rectangular cutting board under one arm. Things got away from me, and the big cutting board fell the length of my body, to land on edge on the top of my foot. I knew instantly that I had made the wrong move. After I yelped and limped into a cushy chair, it slowly occurred to both of us that we had nothing to use as an ice pack, including ice. There is just a tiny refrigerator here, with no water line to it, and buying ice trays weren't a priority. If we moved any of those blue freezer packs, neither of us had any idea where they went. So I got the next best thing, a tub full of cold Colorado tap water, and Epsom salts. The advantage to being forced to be still with one foot in bracing cold water is that for the first time since moving away from my beloved air conditioned Park, I was comfortably cool in my own space. I have no idea what our insurance situation is, whether in our new retired status we have deductibles, copays, or huge expenses, so I decided to wait a day to see how it feels tomorrow before I go have an x-ray done. It's possible one or more of those tiny tarsal bones is fractured, but for now I can walk, albeit slowly. If nothing else, it's a great excuse not to have to lift very heavy boxes and furniture for a day or two. At worst, it means that painting the house and setting up for a housewarming party might be delayed by a few weeks.

I'd love to wax poetic about all my adventures today, and even with an injured foot, there were several, but I think it's time to elevate the foot, take a little something for pain, and think no more.


No comments:

Post a Comment