Thursday, August 6, 2015

Denial

Inspirational song: Baba O'Riley (The Who)

I should be more excited than I am. I'm about to depart on a trip, and really, it is a good thing. I'm going to see family and go to my high school reunion. It will be fun, and I won't deny that. But I am dragging my feet about packing, and I didn't make reservations for hotel or rental car until this afternoon. Yes, the trip is tomorrow. Maybe my subconscious is acting on the principle that if I deny it is happening, it won't have been as many years since high school as it has. I've seen most of the people who will attend at the reunion five years ago. I see my family on a semi-regular basis (not nearly often enough). I'm reconnecting with one friend I haven't seen since I was 16. It's possible the overwhelming fatigue of everything that has consumed us for the last three months is clouding my enthusiasm for the weekend. I may be having a bit of that anti-climactic sensation that I had as when we drove to the closing for this house, and I just wanted to take a nap and have the ceremony proceed without me.

I tried to unpack clothing boxes today. I managed to find a couple outfits I can take to wear in the sweltering Oklahoma heat, but overall, I'm either going to be wearing ill-fitting clothes or overly-warm clothes. I have very little of the light and breezy variety that fits well enough to wear to special events. It's part of my feeling of dread, I assume, trying to find clothes that will make me feel comfortable in both respects. Thank heavens we are of an age where I don't have to compete at the "half these girls are still as perfect as Barbie dolls" level anymore. Five surgeries in less than seven years have taken their toll on how I'm put together, and I'm not going to pretend I still have my 17 year old body. Maybe they should be glad I'm planning on showing up clean and dressed at all.

We finally got smart and moved down into the basement for our down time. It's almost like being someplace with air conditioning. What a far cry it is from that hot garden level apartment in the asphalt jungle. I don't think it gets over 70 degrees down here, pretty much ever. Now, while that is ultimately pleasant in August, I do wonder what January is going to be like, when the average lows are hovering around 11 degrees. It's a good thing I have a habit of buying or making lap blankets.

The night before I traveled, I didn't feel like cooking dinner, so we went out. All evening I faced a framed ad that is very much like the ones I got yesterday as a housewarming gift. It made me very excited for the day I get mine framed and hung. And finally, as threatened, I found my sign. I just need a spot to adhere it out front.


No comments:

Post a Comment