Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Too Busy to Think

Inspirational song: The Muppet Show Theme (The Muppet Show)

I feel like I have marched a thousand miles today. I ended up skipping dinner in favor of a slice of gluten free lemon poppy seed cake and wine. Lots of wine, to be exact, to dull the pain in my feet, so forgive me if my thoughts meander aimlessly because of it. We got busy unpacking today, and I was standing on hard floors or climbing on and off of ladders all day. I got an early start this morning, after the house was blissfully cold last night, due to a huge dip in the jet stream finally pushing out the high pressure that was keeping hot, humid air locked over my home. (Granted, that same jet is pushing east to light up severe weather, but without much in the way of television, I'm only barely keeping track of that these days.) I am finally getting a switch in my circadian rhythms, and finding it easier to get up early without an alarm, so I can enjoy the cool air, slanting morning light, and steaming cups of coffee. I started unpacking the rest of the china hutch early, but was called outside to see the evolution of the existing vegetable and herb garden, while we gave all the cats a chance to run around and see how little the squirrels feel threatened by them. (Perhaps now is a good time to show last week's pictures of the squirrel sitting on the outside of the window sill for five minutes, showing her ass to Jackie and Athena, and suggesting they proceed to suck it.) We have some cherry tomatoes that are ripening to a solid black color, and we are most excited to try them, plus we have some sort of squash (resembles a white pumpkin at present) that will be fun to watch as it grows, if we can defend it from the critters (tame and wild). We tried to plant three sweet potatoes that had sprouted into pots today, and before dark, Elsa had already dug up one and eaten the whole thing. And the last thing I heard before going inside to stay this evening was Mr S-P and the neighbor discussing planting rows of hops trellises along the property boundary between our houses, thus ruining our plans for putting in a nice weeping willow to block the streetlight from our bedroom window.

The middle part of my day was devoted to painting and organizing the second bedroom upstairs, the one I have been calling "my dressing room." I've been an unabashed reader of historical romances for most of my life, but never imagined that one day I would have a dedicated boudoir like the noble ladies in the Regencies I love so much. Yet here I am, with a bedroom just for me that will house all of my clothes and accessories, both of my dressers, the sewing machine, my crafting cabinet, and a day bed. I own a screen that technically I could use for a dressing area like in the movies, but I don't feel the need for that level of privacy. This is the room that I am painting with colors I chose at the very last second, so they would be different enough from the lavender blue in the living room. I sent the man a photo of paint chips while he was at Lowe's and told him to surprise me with one of them. He came home with paint named "fragrant lilac," which is appropriate, since he loves lilac bushes so much, and there is a giant one right outside the window of this room. As I was painting the walls today, all I could think was that it is the color I loved in 8th grade, as most girls of my generation did, a color that is best described as "Miss Piggy eye shadow purple." I've resisted most of my life painting any room purple, yet here I am jumping into the deep end with the girliest purple I could have chosen. How apropos for a boudoir. I shall refer to my day bed as my fainting couch, to match the emotion of the room.

I can't seem to get a sewing machine set up fast enough. With the neighbor and my man conspiring against my plans for a weeping willow in the front yard, I need to move forward with making curtains for my bedroom, tout suite. And tonight, I have been commissioned with my first official cosplay outfit. My daughter wants to go to a convention dressed as her old favorite Manga character Gaara. As soon as I can finish my dressing room and set up the sewing machine, I will be reviving my sewing skills. Once upon a time (read: most of my life from the time I was 16) I would have designed the costume myself, copying the source material and working out the geometry in my head. This time I have taken the easy way out, and we found a pattern that closely resembles the coat I am to make. I am so happy not to need to expend the brain energy. I have too much to do this month to be able to split my focus. What focus there is left after fatigue and wine, that is.


















No comments:

Post a Comment