Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Hot House

Inspirational song: My Life (Billy Joel)

I'm getting just a little closer to feeling settled in here. I keep unpacking my stuff, albeit at a slower rate, and I keep doing little things to personalize this space. Eventually I will spread out more in the lower level, but for now it's kind of the abandoned storage space. I don't know why we aren't hanging out down there, especially now. The ambient temperature downstairs is easily ten degrees cooler than up here. At some point over the last week, we plugged in our devices in the piano bar, and settled in to the rocking chairs. There's a couch downstairs wondering what it did to make us stop loving it. I got smart during the hottest part of the day (and 98 degrees qualifies as hot, no matter what you're used to), and I lay down in the cool, dark spare room and took a little nap. It would have been blissful, had there not been desk drawers stacked on the bed, leaving me precious little space to sleep in. I would have moved them, but the desk isn't in place yet, and I have no idea where it is going to go.

I keep being divided on whether I'm happy when the doorbell rings or annoyed. I had good visitors, bringing wonderful offerings, and then I had the creepy one for the day. The door to door security system salesmen always bother me. They operate on the fear they generate, to sell electronic monitoring, but I feel more threatened by them than anyone else. This guy was pushy (as so many are) and practically yelled at me that the sky was falling. "Don't you know how these guys operate? They go download the lists of newly sold homes in the area, and within 30 to 90 days, that's when all the home invasions happen!" Gee, downloading lists of newly sold homes, like you, you creepy, aggressive jerk? My three-tiered security system just happened to be away from the house when he came by, but that is not often the case. If Bump and Murray had been barking at this guy like he was doing to me, he would have taken my NO at face value. If I had left the house today, I would have already acquired my No Soliciting sign.

One of my visitors brought me something absolutely special. My sister in law went looking for things of a 1959 vintage, and she found me a couple pages from a May 1959 Saturday Evening Post. They are ads for building products, around a new home theme. They are the coolest things I've seen in ages, and I cannot wait to have them framed and put up somewhere here. She promised me they were perfect, and I told her I'd love them even if they were vintage ads for cigarettes or lead-based paint. But for houses... she was so right. They make me want to go find my pearls and shirt-waist dresses (if any of the ones I have would fit these days), and wear my hair short and wavy. Maybe in lieu of that I'll just start wearing a really deep red lipstick, in homage to my retro mid-century life.


No comments:

Post a Comment