Saturday, August 22, 2015

New Energy

Inspirational song: Start Me Up (The Rolling Stones)

I admit it, I was starting to wear myself down over the last week or two. We had been working full throttle since the day we closed on the house, and it was exhausting. I tried to take a day off here or there, but I never really had a single whole down day. Once I got back from traveling, I was painting something almost every day, all day. Even this morning, the first thing I did when I got up was finish painting that desk we bought last week. I have been wishing for time off just to sit and enjoy my new house, to take a break from constant work. I don't know what happened between this morning and this evening, but all of a sudden, I have a fire lit under my butt. I have a bunch of new plans, a whole new slate of projects that I'm ready to dive into. I hope this fire is slow-burning rather than a quick flame and out.

Right before Mr S-P took the job that moved us all around the country for twenty years, one of my best friends and I tried our hands at owning a creative business. We designed clothes for a multitude of applications--children's dress up clothes, adult dress up clothes (specifically Medieval/Renaissance costumes), and stage costumes for ballet, modern, and exotic dancers. My friend and I shared a duplex, and we converted the garage into a large studio space with a giant cutting table and several sewing machines set up around the room. It was great having so much room for sewing and storage. That was the last time I had a dedicated space for sewing. I tried for years to make things for the kids when they were little, like Halloween costumes, but I had no good setup where I could leave a machine, and honestly, after working 50-60 hours a week when we tried to run the business, I was burned out on sewing. After a few years, I just gave up, and only brought out the machine when I couldn't weasel out of projects. I had to cut fabric on the floor, and I did most of the actual sewing set up on coffee tables. Today I moved that freshly painted desk into my dressing room, and I set my sewing machine on it. As I plugged it in and set the pedal on the floor, it struck me how long I have waited to have this luxury of space once again. I celebrated by cutting out a pattern and taking measurements for my daughter's cosplay outfit. I can't wait to start sewing.

We met more neighbors this week. We are starting to get an idea just how fortunate we may have been in sticking it out in buying this house. There are some really cool people on this block. I just wish the cool glass artist next door was sticking around, but she and her family are on their way out to a place closer to her studio. But the ones who remain, the young guy who bought next door the same week we bought, the older couple across the street, the contemporary of ours who is taking over her grandmother's house...they all seem very interesting. I am so happy to live here. I can't wait to get to know these people better. I wonder who might be up for a block party. Maybe I should be the one to start the ball rolling on that.




.

No comments:

Post a Comment