Thursday, October 8, 2015

Contractual Obligation

Inspirational song: I Bet You They Won't Play This Song on the Radio (Monty Python)

When I first started shopping around for real estate licensing classes, I took note of the requirements set down by the state of Colorado for these classes. There was a minimum number of hours that must be devoted to contract law. We have entered that section. We had an overview of the standard contracts prepared by the Colorado Bar Association last week, and today we dove in to the deep end. I am supposed to study an 18 page contract in depth over the weekend, and arrive Monday knowing it thoroughly and able to ask pertinent questions on it. We'll have a guest speaker to throw more contracts at us then. It is every bit as mind-numbing as you imagine it to be, and I think I was more confident in my understanding at 8:15 this evening than I was at 8:35 when I walked to my car. I will be studying like crazy this weekend, especially after we were warned how heavily the state portion of the test will focus on certain aspects of contract law.

Since we lost Zoe last week, I had been refusing to let the cats out into the back yard, even knowing that the four black and white units respect the boundaries of all fences, even porous chain-link ones. Yesterday, I taped up the pieces of my broken heart, and opened the back door for a short trip into the sunlight for the Pride. It made me tense, made my stomach roil, letting them back outside even for an instant, but I knew I had to do it. I was particularly nervous when I saw our local baby squirrel outside the gate, eating the heads off of the sunflowers near the woodpile where I think he lives. Alfred noticed him too, and gave him silent, threatening glances, but he never jumped the fence to get at him. I was relieved, but I didn't take my eye off of Alfie for long. An adult squirrel on the other side of the yard spent twenty minutes alternating between taunting and threatening the cats, until I went over and told him to mind his own business. He chattered at me too, but when I put my nose in the air and turned my back to him, he seemed to get over himself. I don't know how much to trust that squirrels will stay in the trees and cats will stay on the ground, neither mixing it up with the other. Squirrels can be aggressive little jerks, and they can bite and scratch and seriously injure a cat who doesn't know to stay away. But I'm not going to eradicate them from my yard. Not yet, anyway.

I feel like there was something I was saving to write about for tonight, but all those lessons about contract law have drained the life out of my brain. If I didn't have that contractual obligation with myself to write every night, I might already be in bed. I guess it's time to sort through my pictures and then phone this one in.








No comments:

Post a Comment