Saturday, October 10, 2015

Rallied

Inspirational song: Rockin' In the Free World (Neil Young)

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Boulder today, unseasonably warm with just the thinnest layer of high clouds marring the clear blue sky. We set out for Boulder mid-morning, and were almost there when we woke up our daughter. She wanted to stay in bed, but I insisted she do her civic duty and go to a rally with us, so that when it comes time to vote in the primaries, we can all make informed decisions. She couldn't argue that. We parked in the underground garage where I usually leave the car during football games, and walked to the East Campus of CU. We took our place in line, about a thousand folks back from the people who showed up at 9 this morning, and we waited. And waited. The line started to move right at noon, and we moved to a grassy field, where over the next two hours we were joined by between 9 and 10 thousand more people. They had handed out cardboard signs that came in handy to shield my face from the sun, but even so, after a total of 5 hours standing out in the heat, I was burned to a crisp. I have long been very sensitive to sun and heat, with few defenses. My skin burns easily now and I just do not sweat ever. By the time our headliner arrived to speak, I was feeling pretty rough. But sun poisoned, sore from sitting on the ground, and tired from standing and cheering points I liked, I am still glad I went.

I've liked Bernie Sanders as a person for many years. He has been considerate and consistent in his message. I have been slow to believe that he could get enough support to win the nomination, never mind the general, but he has started drawing crowds that are challenging my assumptions. Today's crowd was enthusiastic as any I have seen. His speech covered many of the issues I am passionate about, and I cheered often, especially when he addressed rebuilding infrastructure (I'm a boring nerd, yes), ending mass incarceration, and raising the minimum wage. I still have decisions to make, but I heard things I liked today.

Boulder isn't known for spectacular diversity, but there was a nice mix in the crowd today. A young man who waited in front of us was from France, and he didn't quite know what to make of the American political process. On either side of us were scattered people older than us, but most of the crowd were CU students. There was a group behind us of young Coloradans who were very well plugged-in to the issues, and they made for good conversation and witty comments during the speech. One lovely young lady in that group found a unique way to handle the heat, and to make an important political statement. With assistance of promotional items they'd handed out in line, she announced, "Free the nipple!" and went shirtless with Bernie sticker pasties. Ah, to be so young and confident. Boobs for Bernie, she said. You go, girl!












No comments:

Post a Comment