Saturday, October 3, 2015

Fill It In

Inspirational song: Hey, Tonight (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

It tried to be my favorite day today. It was overcast all day, and it was cool. But it wasn't really chilly, and it wasn't drizzly until late. And it wasn't actually drizzle, it was a couple waves of strong thunderstorms. So still no joy for the best day of the year. In Oklahoma when I was a kid, it was usually very close to my birthday, so perhaps this year it will follow that pattern. Now, that might suck a little bit, because my birthday is on a Saturday that happens to be the homecoming game. We're all going, and my older daughter and I will be playing in the alumni band that day. Wouldn't be the best day for cold and drizzle. We shall see.

I still follow the news stations from the Low Country, especially since I have so many friends back there. I've been watching the reports of impending floods since Wednesday or Thursday, and as of today, my friends are texting me and reporting high water close to their homes. Bonfire Gardens sits fairly low compared to the rest of the neighborhood where it's located, but it has been spared from danger for now. There is a deep drainage canal that runs behind it, and our friends are lucky it is there. During the heavy rain today, the water line that is usually five feet or so from the top of the ditch was threatening to overtop the banks. Bonfire Leader sent me pictures at the crest of the flood behind her, and then one an hour or so later as the water quickly subsided. The good news for her, other than that the ditch existed in the first place, was that the river it drains into was several feet low going into this rain event. She needed that extra outflow capacity to keep her Gardens safe. I hope the worst is over there.

My birthday present from my mother arrived in last night's mail, but since I never made it even as far as the front porch yesterday, I didn't find out it was here until I saw the man had put it on the table early this morning. I resisted for several hours, but by noon I caved in and opened it. She told me generally what she was sending, and I wanted to get at it too much to wait weeks until my birthday to play with it. The trendy thing to have these days is an adult coloring book. I had picked up a couple a week ago when I went to get crafting supplies for my fall wreath. I didn't have good pencils, though, and the few I have are still hidden in the garage. Mom sent me a 48 pack of pencils, a sharpener, and two more books. I took a couple hours this evening to sit in the quiet, with only the sound of pencils scratching on paper, while the man took over cooking duties (he did very well, FTR). What they say is true, it really does change your mood, even just by selecting the first color. I'd been agitated for days, with a nervous stomach that would not calm for me. I picked a soft aquamarine to start with, and my stomach unclenched for the first time in most of a week. I kept coloring through the first half of the late football game. It made me stay pretty calm. I finished that first page right about halftime, and regretting quitting so early. The team had a horrible third quarter, and I'm clenchy again. Maybe I'll keep coloring until bedtime.






No comments:

Post a Comment