Monday, October 19, 2015

Maths

Inspirational song: Add It Up (Violent Femmes)

Today was the last full day I got to have both of my girls here for many months, and I couldn't fully enjoy it. I had a few minutes this morning when we could chat, but it ended very quickly, and I had to dedicate the rest of my day to mathematics. I had a squirrelly little dog to snuggle with while I tried and tried to ready narrative descriptions of mathematical terms that I've known so long that reading them in sentence form only served to confuse and anger me. It took me more than four hours to read forty pages of tables and formulas and T-bar graphs that made no sense whatsoever. I persevered, and once I started calculating the story problems it went much faster. It still took me the entire day to finish my homework. Barely made it to a shower and cup of coffee before I had to hit the highway to get to class. But for a woman who took her algebra classes during the Reagan administration, it felt pretty good to realize I had a grasp of the situation.

We will have to know some of these calculations for the real estate exam, but for day to day operations, apparently the only math most agents reliably do in their heads is 3% of sales price. For the rest, there are calculators on cell phones. At some point I will need to make a cheat sheet of formulas to use in the real world. If I can memorize them for the next month and a half or two months, I'll be golden and the test will be a breeze. We've even heard that there isn't as much math on the exam as people fear there will be. I think I'll need to spend more time on memorizing agency relationships and disclosure regulations than a few math problems.

Okay, math day is over. I need to shrug it off and enjoy the remaining moments of my daughter and grand-dog's visit. Where's that derpy puppy, and why isn't she cuddling with me already?


No comments:

Post a Comment