Saturday, October 24, 2015

Winter Prep

Inspirational song: Up on Cripple Creek (The Band)

How many of you playing along at home correctly guessed answer B) It will be too snowy for Mr S-P to climb any fourteen thousand foot mountain in Colorado on October 24? Award yourself five points.

I tried to offer that information to him without saying that he shouldn't try, or that I would be mad if he did. I just waited and wondered whether it would be too snotty if I said I told you so. He did take a nice snowy drive in the mountains, and he sent me a lot of beautiful pictures of the southern mountains. I kept my told-you-sos to myself. If he hadn't been so obviously tent-bound on this trip, I might have been jealous for some of the places he went. But then, I know how little I like sleeping on the ground, and I know how quickly I slip into panic attacks when I'm a passenger in his vehicle on sporty mountain roads. It's best that I stayed home.

I swapped out my container pots on the porch. I dug up the Gerbera daisy and wave petunias, and stuck them in a smaller plastic pot that I'll winter in the garage, by the small, south-facing windows, along with a lot of my more tender plants. I don't know whether I'll be able to keep everything, but it will be worth trying. I bought several things when they were on clearance weeks ago, as the garden centers were winding down for the year. I got a teeny tiny spruce tree, a spreading juniper, a small arborvitae, an ornamental kale, and several small mums. These seemed appropriate for November and December plantings (I'm assuming the mums will die off), and I'm hoping they live through Christmas. Really, I'm hoping they live a lot longer, but as long as they make it for holiday decorating, I will be good. I am, however, regretting the idea that juniper would make for pretty porch decoration. I'm wildly allergic to it, and my hands still hurt whenever I wash them.

It was chilly last night but it did not actually freeze. I got a preview for how poorly that gigantic front window will fare in winter. It was covered in fog this morning, dripping condensation all across the inside. I was told that replacing that window was priority number one for this fall, but oddly, it hasn't happened yet. Neither did the man who gave us a quote on the new garage door ever send an email so we could place an order. I'd just like to do what we need to do to seal up and insulate this house before real cold weather hits. Now I'm not sure that will happen. Ah well. There's always plastic and tape.














No comments:

Post a Comment