Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Eve

Inspirational song: She's So Cold (The Rolling Stones)

Family weekend is over. We all met early for coffee, parking the cars while it was still dark outside. We had a good final visit, but these little glimpses into the past when we all lived together often just leave me feeling wistful. I know the world goes on, and kids don't stay kids forever, but I can still remember those times fondly. I'm determined to make as many good memories in the future as I have collected thus far, and these short visits are the only time I have to collect them.

I've been checking the weather forecast compulsively for more than a month. I am watching for the first cold, wet day of the fall. Finally, after much consternation on my part, that day is almost here. The moisture is streaming up from New Mexico, and the snow line is marching down the mountains. Our good friends up near the national park may see white stuff tomorrow. For me, I have been enjoying seeing all the golden brown leaves on the ground, blowing around as the weather turned. And when I turn in to bed tonight, I'm going to be like an eight year old on Christmas Eve. I'm going to be listening for the sound of rain, and waiting for the air to chill. Maybe I will go dig out some flannel PJs. I may need to find places for the container pots I want to keep tomorrow. It's time to say good bye to most of my flowers.

I think I talked myself out this weekend. I did so much, talked to so many people, and now all I want to do is sit and absorb words, not to churn them back out. Let's see how I feel tomorrow, after the best day of the year. (No high expectations here, as you can see.)








No comments:

Post a Comment