Saturday, October 31, 2015

FITFO

Inspirational song: Teddy Bears' Picnic (Bing Crosby)

Most CU fans are getting really sick of moral victories, that are actually football losses. Our team played their hearts out, owned the offense, but we had no answer for a few big plays when it really mattered. There were moments today, listening to the radio, when I thought these kids had finally figured this whole football thing out. They came back from an ugly first half to lead midway through the fourth quarter, and still they couldn't seal the deal. I'm tired of being close but not close enough. I can't imagine how much more tired of it they are than I am.

I missed Halloween last year. I wasn't feeling like being social for parties, and I didn't even turn on my porch light to hand out candy. This year I was all too happy to see kids in costume come by, but there weren't very many who came down our street. It was a little disappointing. I spent all day creating my costume, and by the time I was done with it, the trick or treaters were done coming by the house. I just wanted one little kid's mom or dad to recognize who I was going for. It was my own fault for waiting until today to start it, I suppose. I was just too overwhelmed by everything else going on the last week to get to it.

It's been a while since I really tried to work out the pattern shapes of a costume from a video. I used to be great at this. Today it took me hours to get the basics, and I still stumbled on a couple key pieces. I never really figured out the collar. I watched the East-West Bowl Rap video about six times, freeze-framing it and sketching what I wanted. I used leftover fabric to form the patterns, pinned to my regular shirt, to try to make sure I was on the right track. It still took me until almost dark to have a wearable product. Maybe by next Halloween I will have the thing hemmed and taken in on the sides so it doesn't hang on me like a circus tent. Is there another chance to dress like a 350 pound running back any time before then? No? Well, fudge.





No comments:

Post a Comment