Saturday, April 30, 2016

As Real As It Gets

Inspirational song: I'm On a Boat (The Lonely Island)

I had to write a text late in the day to my dad to explain why I couldn't take his call this morning, or return it for pretty much the entire day. I started my day showing a house to clients that I adore (when dad called), and I immediately raced to a different town to set up an open house that ran very long. Like the one in Fort Collins a few weeks ago, it was a mad crush. It felt like hosting a very popular party, with a whole lot of people who were interested in talking to me. Several times I had to use my phone as a hotspot for my computer, so I could look up information and add new prospective leads to my database. By the time I headed home, I had 4% phone battery, and no way to recharge it (I really ought to find the car charger base). Once here, I immediately plugged in and started running comps while I waited for enough of a charge to call back the client who already wants to put in an offer on the house. Holy cow, I told my father. I'm a real realtor!

It was marvelous finally getting my eastern region clients into a house. We've been talking about what sort of new place they wanted for weeks, but it wasn't until today that we stood inside one and discussed the merits of a home. Now the real fun begins. We get to repeat this action over and over, until they find the perfect spot. Do not mistake anything I have said for sarcasm. I seriously can not wait. I had such a sputtering start to this career. It feels pretty damned good to be doing it for real.

But that open house, though.

I saw the photos last night, and was floored. When I saw it many months ago, it was in shambles. The man who did the renovation work did an outstanding job with it. Not even the same house. The best part was where he knocked down the wall around the kitchen, opening it up to the living room and front entry, so you can stand at the pale gray and speckled granite peninsula, and look out over the sculpture garden park across the street. The weather was slushy and sloppy, so we couldn't tell what the view of the mountains was from that spot, but the general consensus was that it would be lovely on a clear day. I spent nearly three full hours standing in front of the sink, with dozens of people swirling around me, all talking pleasantly to me and smiling about the gorgeous house. I felt like I was hosting the best party in town. And right as it was supposed to shut down, my phone rang. Even though it was an unfamiliar out of state number, I had just enough sense not to ignore it as an assumed telemarketer, and I leaned away from house hunters to hear someone tell me he wanted to write an offer right then and there. I was thrilled and terrified and at a complete loss for words because I was so tired and not only was my phone battery nearly dead, so was my physical battery. But I managed to push out a couple coherent sentences and a promise to call as soon as I had a charger. This is a go! So now we're working on making a strong offer and getting the details organized. I barely have the spoons left to sit up right now, but I am finding the will to keep going if for no other reason than because I can finally see the fruits of my labor are in sight.






No comments:

Post a Comment