Wednesday, April 13, 2016

I Get to Live Here

Inspirational song: Hold On (Ian Gomm)

Some people may find it a drag to drive a lot for their work. Me, I sometimes feel that way, but on days like today, I absolutely love it. I got to drive across the plains, with long sweeping views of the mountains the whole way. There was a massive rainstorm almost the entire afternoon and evening, but I never seemed to get close enough to it to catch rain. I could see the whole of the storm in its entirety, and it was breathtaking. I didn't think to pull out the camera until late, once the sun was already setting behind the mountains. I was driving back through one of the eastern plains towns, and marveling that I get to see this stuff every day now. Charleston was beautiful, but unless you were right on the ocean, there wasn't much in the way of long views. And call me weird, but the flat horizon of the distant ocean wasn't quite as awe-inspiring as a hundred and eighty degrees of snow-capped peaks popping up behind the darkening front range, with streaky rain clouds hovering above. I don't much want to put the miles on my car to do all the driving for this job, but I will take it as a necessary hazard if it means that (a) I succeed in this business and (b) get to see scenes like I did today.

I feel like I'm in the fast lane now. Or at least the center cruising lane. I was stuck on the on-ramp for four months, and I worried that I'd never make it into the flow of real estate traffic. I had another meeting with a client I'd met a few weeks ago, and proved to myself that my initial reaction was correct. I like working with her, and she likes me back. I can't beat that if I tried. We are going to move forward with an agency relationship, and I'm going to help her and her husband buy and sell a house. It won't necessarily be a fast-moving process like I attempted last week, but it will turn into something long term and meaningful. I can't be happier.

And I realized this morning that I've had real, valuable conversations with at least three mayors of this town so far. One we met by accident, and two I've spoken to at Rotary functions at length. I'm learning more about this town in a short amount of time than I ever expected to. It just goes to prove to me that I chose wisely when I found property here. This is where I belong. I never would have predicted it years ago, but I get to live here now, and I am right where I need to be. I wasn't sure last summer whether this was my forever house. I'm starting to think now that it is. It's about time.



No comments:

Post a Comment