Saturday, April 23, 2016

Slideshow

Inspirational song: How Can You Do It Alone (The Who)

Oh, right. It turns out that overwhelming myself by traveling and getting super tired is a trigger for that unkillable hydra, my new friend Demon Lupus. I spent most of the last two days too tired to sleep, and thus I have been weepy and weak. I just can't even. For two days now. I had promised while I was still in Georgia that I'd provide a slideshow of all our trip pictures, and tonight seems like the best night to do it. In fact, it sounds like the absolute limit of what I've got in energy reserves, while I wait until Tuesday to limp across the finish line and finally meet my rheumatologist for the first time. So yeah. Pictures.


It was kind of nice letting someone else do the driving to the airport. Also nice: not paying for parking.


Dawn from the plane window was pretty. Sleeping against the tray table was better.


At one point, he says, "Give me your phone." Hands it back, and says, "Memphis, right?"


Made it to Georgia just in time to see azaleas in bloom.





And knockout roses...


Dinner in a cool old downtown area.



A city center stage.


Old loops where people tied up their horses.


A tree grows in Douglasville.


This guy's lawn has hundreds of specimen plantings of day lilies. Very cool.


It's mine now...


Just had to figure out how to move it.


Give him a long enough lever and a place to stand,



and he'll flip the hot tub and move it.


"I always wanted to try a block and tackle system."


Little sister didn't enjoy seeing her house get emptied.


More roses, in the corner of Mississippi.


Specifically, in this corner of Mississippi.


I did not get to see Graceland.


It was this pyramid I saw from the air to verify that the previous photo (from Monday) was indeed over Memphis.


Crossing the Mississippi River for the last time in the foreseeable future.


We always seem to end up on the Mother Road.


There were a lot of beautiful sunsets on this trip.


Again, Mother Road.


It took Steffi a little while to warm up to me, but eventually she cuddled.



The view in Northern Oklahoma





Important errand to run before we left the state.


Lunch and three gallons of ice cream later...



There sure were a lot more of these visible on this trip than the last several times I made this drive.


Gee, I'm glad I spent money on compression socks. It hurts way more than I looks like it should. At least now I know I can blame lupus for this, or at least I think I can.


I waited for a while on the side of the road while somebody relieved himself. Turns out he was hunting for souvenirs as well.


He chose two to bring back.





Seems like a little malfunction here.



As Pike's Peak appeared in the distance.


And a full moon followed us in the mirrors.



Flaming off the gasses in Commerce City, and it just seemed way bigger than it needed to be.


We brought back way more than we expected to.


This stone-faced cat freaked out Athena and Murray.



I walked out back and caught him in the act... of unloading the hot tub without a single other human to help him.



And damn if he didn't succeed with ease.


The rug didn't look exactly as I remembered from childhood, but that doesn't matter. I'm still happy to have it in my house. And the cats think it's pretty spiffy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment