Monday, June 27, 2016

All Okay

Inspirational song: Smoke from a Distant Fire (Sanford-Townsend Band)

How wrong is it that a simple, normal day comes along, and I feel like I should have had more drama? I've been living under a shadow too long. I had a quiet morning. I took care of something I was supposed to do for work for a few hours, and then made my weekly call to the boss. I went to a movie and out to dinner with my daughter. And I finished the evening with a little comedy television. I actually feel guilty about having a good day. I need to take a step back and feed a little slack into the line. I don't have to have a stressful freakout every day. I'm allowed to feel okay.

I'm getting reports about the progress on repairs down at the house we still own in New Mexico. The roof replacement is costing significantly more than the estimate. Injuries are happening. And truck repairs are necessary. Mr X said that if he wrote a daily blog with an inspirational song, his choice for now would be "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Not having a good trip thus far. I promise, I'm not bitter and gloating. I feel bad for how rough this errand is for him. He's working hard in the hot sun. He is spending way more money than he expected. And he's bruised and broken in a couple places. Maybe that's why I'm having so much guilt over the easy day I had today.

At least the pictures he's sending back have been interesting. And tonight, he reminded me of one thing I really miss about New Mexico: the Toad Show. We used to leave our front door open most of the day and night while we were home, so that the cats could stare out the all-glass storm door at their leisure. In the summer, the junebugs would cover the front porch, and toads of all sizes, from thumbnail to dinner plate, would come to snack. The cats never broke eye contact with the toads. It was a real life re-creation of Hypnotoad from Futurama. To be honest, at times it was a little creepy.

And my sunset was particularly pretty. It appeared that there was a wide current of smoky air high in the atmosphere, dimming the light from the setting sun and making it glow neon orange. The best views were from the road, but I ended up pulling over in a park to take slightly less optimal pictures. Was still nice. Today, nice was nice enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment