Saturday, June 11, 2016

Dirt Therapy

Inspirational song: Dirty Work (Steely Dan)

I needed a solid task to take my mind away from real life, even for a few hours. What better way to reclaim a semblance of normal life than spending a hot day in the sun, gardening for fun? This morning was our second quarter volunteer project with the brokerage, at a community garden in Fort Collins. The Gardens at Spring Creek provide education and entertainment for all ages, and last year they provided over seven thousand pounds of quality produce to local food banks in Larimer County. Our volunteer group split up to different projects, where half of our team scraped back mulch, put down weed barrier, and re-mulched, and the other half weeded down by some fruit trees, and then divided again to plant onions and denude a recently-harvested spinach bed of its shorn stalks and roots.

We had sixteen or seventeen volunteers and we all had a wonderful time, even in the unrelenting heat of the day. Even I enjoyed the hard work, and while my weeding work wasn't quite as vigorous as the rest of my group, I seemed to have developed a particular skill for knocking good soil off of roots, after our crabgrass removal at Park West, and so I made quick work of my part of the spinach bed. I also learned what ladybug larvae look like, and now I know what to protect in my yard. The master gardener told us not to worry about the aphids we already are seeing. The beneficial bugs are on their way, and will feast on the aphids in due time.

I have participated in three volunteer projects with the brokerage now, and have every intention of continuing to do so. I sincerely hope that I can interest some of my local friends to join me one day. I will give plenty of opportunities for them to learn of the projects, and to sign up on our website. The next one should be in early autumn, and information will be available ahead of time on HeadwatersRealtyCO.com. Keep an eye out for it.






















No comments:

Post a Comment