Friday, June 3, 2016

New and Old Words

Inspirational song: Romeo and Juliet (Dire Straits)

After all my emotional upset and soul cleansing confessions this week, it wasn't a surprise to me that I found myself feeling dreadfully ill this morning. You don't need to know everything, but just imagine when you come down with a 24 hour stomach bug, how awful you feel. I get to feel that, without the actual bug part. I lost 4 or 5 hours of my morning and early afternoon to being run down, before I could get on with the business of working. But this afternoon and evening I was back in the saddle again, back to the business of real estate. Think positive thoughts for me that this time it will work out. All the way to closing, tallyho!

I needed a little bit of escapism throughout the day. While I was curled up in a chair this morning being miserable, I picked up a new novel I'd been waiting for, the second in a series by an author I've adored for at least 15 years. The hero of the book is Welsh, and early on he taught me a new old word. I hadn't heard of "hiraeth" before. In the words of the character (as written by Lisa Kleypas), "It's a longing for something that was lost, or never existed. You feel it for a person or a place, or a time in your life...It's a sadness of your soul." I have never felt such kinship for a word before, but I think from now on, I will refer to this time of my life as my hiraeth period.

Right as it got dark this evening, Mr SP/X came home from his mountain, and declared what he needed was a soak. I had only raised the temperature of the hot tub to about 94 at that point, and said I'd get it going higher if he could wait. He said he'd just crawl in and stay there until he boiled, like the proverbial frog in a pot of water on a stove. Well, naturally I started singing the song Frogs from my first favorite movie from childhood (and easily one of my favorite things ever) Tales from Muppetland: The Frog Prince. I got a blank stare in return. Fine then, I thought. I can fix this. I already had my iPad out to listen to music in the tub. Instead I brought up YouTube, and while we sat in the warming tub, I played the entire video of it, start to finish, singing along with the songs, and reciting some of the lines when I couldn't contain myself. I used to have this production on a vinyl record, and I played it a million times in my childhood. To this day, I have every word, every inflection, every note, and every pause memorized. It's impossible for me not to blurt out parts of it. Mr SP/X may or may not have been subjected to the actual video of it before. I think he was. But tonight, he was tired enough not to interrupt me as I gorged on it, from start to finish. He even watched the credits with me, and noticed that some random crew member was named "Kermit Love." It tickled him to imagine someone trying to impress Jim Henson by changing his name to the biggest star in the boss' cast of characters. It probably didn't happen that way, but it was fun to pretend.



No comments:

Post a Comment