Thursday, June 9, 2016

Imported

Inspirational song: Roam (B-52s)

I needed a drama-less day. Today was the closest I've had in weeks. Months. I calmly went to work at the office, and ended up having a couple hours of the boss' undivided attention. It was a perfect mentoring session about title insurance (cleared up a few things that had previously remained fuzzy for me), and advice on networking and client database management. The most dramatic thing that happened all morning was while I imported my contacts from my old email, which I've had since 1995, I had to delete some people who either no longer inhabit my world or no longer inhabit this earth at all. A brief moment of melancholy, and I moved on.

Over the Christmas holidays, good family friends came up to spend a day with us. The mom of this family, one of my BFFs, and I were intending on slipping away for part of that day and going to the Cheese Importers shop in town. By the time they arrived, I was worn out, having a bad lupus day, but back then I didn't know that's what it was. I couldn't bring myself to leave the house and go with her to this shop. I felt awful for letting her down, but it was something I've been getting used to. I miss a lot of plans, and have for years. I'm working on not beating myself up about it anymore.

Today, on the way back from work, I texted to say that I was hungry and wanted to go out for lunch. Mr SP/X suggested we finally visit the Cheese Importers. What a good call that was. Neither of us had set foot in there, before or after the missed opportunity with our friend. It was in a converted old factory, two stories of French-themed goods for sale. There was a bistro, a bar, multiple seating areas, goodies in every inch of space, and a giant cheese cooler with every sort of cheese we could ever want. We stuck to our plan of only getting lunch, but the idea has been planted in my head that there will be a big splurge there once commission checks finally start rolling in. And once the world settles down, if I'm lucky, I'll get another chance to take my friend there. I hope she says yes.








No comments:

Post a Comment