Monday, October 9, 2017

It's Curtains for Me

Inspirational song: Let the Sun Shine (Hair)

I don't think I intended to work non-stop from 9 this morning until just shy of midnight (a few minutes ago), but that's what I did. I let myself take a few sips of coffee, and then I was off to the races. I have family coming into town this weekend, and I need a clean house and a functional guest room. The daybed in my dressing room was hidden underneath laundry, posterboards, a briefcase, crumpled Target bags and receipts, and about 14 pounds of cat hair. I got serious about cleaning it all up, and discovered things I thought I'd lost. I reorganized the storage cubbies underneath it. And as I moved the two curtain rods still in their packages off of the bed after three months there, I found I could no longer contain my guilt. I had to switch my focus.

I bought the fabric for the dressing room curtains approximately a year and a half ago. It was just before everything came crashing down on me, and I lost my drive to do pretty much anything to decorate the house for months upon months. I tried to revive it a few times, but I failed. So this pretty gray and purple fabric has sat in a bag, in a heap, next to the daybed, for more than a year. I probably cost myself money by doing this, in increased heating and cooling costs. Afternoon light in the summer is brutal in there, and while my house has newer, energy efficient windows, it still helps to have an extra layer of protection between the winter cold and the inside air. I spent most of the afternoon measuring, cutting, and above all, ironing all of the pieces thoroughly. I haven't even sewn a single stitch, but they are all pinned in place carefully. This fabric should be okay without having the pattern repeats meticulously aligned like I had to do with the master bedroom curtains, but I still did my best to be close.

And of course, I had helpers with both of these projects. As I washed the sheets and remade the daybed, I came back with the comforter to find that Athena was curled up for a nap, sweetly re-furring the bedding for me. While I sat on the end of my bed ironing the curtain fabric, both Jackie and Athena sprawled all over the fabric and tools, especially the white lining fabric. So helpful. Maybe this is why I switched from curtains to bookshelves after dinner. They didn't find carpentry quite as interesting as soft goods.

(Re: the pictures -- I woke to find Mr Smith had rescued the backyard dahlias from the overnight snow. The snow didn't cover much, and it didn't last long, but it was fun to get it so early in the year.)














No comments:

Post a Comment