Friday, October 27, 2017

Showtime

Inspirational song: Karn Evil 9 (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)

I feel like a lot of things I've been waiting for are happening all at once. Pretty sure all of it is every bit as fantastic as I've dreamed. I'm listening to a steady stream of growling that I can hear over the ELP playing on YouTube on another screen on this computer. It just makes me laugh, those grumpy old lady cats who don't want a tiny young buck in the house. Get over it, girls. The head Katzenfrau has decreed that he is part of the family now. I can see him slinking along in the dim light near my liquor cabinet, trying to be unobtrusive so those scary big girls leave him alone. Harvey is exploring and learning his new home, and it's quite wonderful.

I wish you could have heard the voice of my neighbor's girlfriend last night, when we presented River to her. She had basically fallen asleep sitting on the floor, leaning against her boyfriend's knee, wondering why he was determined to stay late waiting for my daughter to arrive. He just told her, well, we've committed this far, let's just stay. So when they arrived, and first they saw Johnny, she was amused by the pretty kitten, but she still wasn't awake yet. Then when River came out, and we set her next to them, she asked, "Which one is this?" That's River. In a small, quiet voice, "Why is she here?" "Because she's yours." Watching her curl in on herself, as she slowly accepted the ball of joy growing inside of her, was one of the highlights of my week. By this afternoon, River was next door, sleeping in the hammock of her scarf, while she tried to work from home. While we were at the Buffalo Stampede in Boulder, my neighbor used his key to go ahead and take River home to his place to stay, letting Barley the dog meet her. In the language of internet cats, Barley baffed River. He accepts her as a member of his clan.

I wasn't sure how Johnny's adoption would go, but I have heard feedback that he is in the perfect home. His new forever human has a large property, but he gets to be an inside kitten with outside privileges. I saw a photo of Johnny in her arms, and there was a look of ecstasy on her face to have her new baby kitten. I have since heard that she and her daughter (the connection who arranged the adoption) have covered Facebook with pictures. He is well received, safe, and soon to be unequivocally loved. I didn't get to spend much time with him, but trust me, that is one handsome boy. I enjoyed every second I got with him.

I'd love to recount the beginnings of alumni band, but honestly, I just walked along at the back with no instrument in my hand, with the two or three other alums I recognized whose hands were also empty. It was loud, and cold, and the air was filled with anticipation and hope. I have no idea how the game will go tomorrow, and I don't feel like guessing. Either way, I'll get to have fun and relive a little of my Glory days. (There's a CU band pun in there, if you know what you're reading.)

Also, this weekend feels like big things are coming. I don't know what yet, but I definitely notice something in the air. It's still nebulous and ill-defined. It's more a hair-standing-on-end, Spidey senses sort of thing. We shall see soon enough if anything big or small comes. For now it feels like a spectacle is about to unfold.












No comments:

Post a Comment