Sunday, October 22, 2017

No Rest for the W... Weary? Wicked?

Inspirational song: The Lumberjack Song (Monty Python)

I got to stay home today. No, really, this was probably a good thing. The guys (Mr S-P and neighbor man) went up to the mountain to clear downed trees from the trail leading to the campsite, loading up a little firewood in the process. I would not only have been in the way today, I probably would have hurt myself just watching them. I’ve been terrible about getting all of my pills every day, I’m barely sleeping, and I keep trying to do everything normal people do. By the time the guys returned, every muscle from my eyelids down was locked up. It was like trying to walk in a suit of armor.

I’m feeling pretty accomplished, though. I have two shelves left to install in the upper set of bookshelves (twelve screws and a little measuring to go) and then I can paint them and send them to my daughter, to fill them with her entire manga collection. (For anyone counting, it will equal eight floor to ceiling units, holding eight rows of books each, filling about ten linear feet of wall space. These books are generally no wider than the width of a thumb, so imagine how many books that is.) Once the last two shelves are in, I need to hurry and sand and paint them. As my daughter keeps reminding me, once Harvey arrives, I don’t want this in my house. She keeps texting me “whitekitteninwhitepaint.”

Of course I’m still trying to finish the Dr Who scarf before Thursday, finish the guest room curtains on the same deadline, sell tickets for the Rotary Holiday Ball, solicit donations for the fall quarter volunteer project at my brokerage Thursday morning, help Mr S-P retrieve the rest of the firewood they cut today, go to the rheumatologist to check in, participate in alumni band homecoming activities, and adopt a kitten. All before next Sunday. But no pressure. I can work all day, but I’m never going to sleep all night. I’m really not sure when I will get to sleep again at this rate.







No comments:

Post a Comment