Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Brown

Inspirational song: The Rains of Castamere (Game of Thrones)

I had thought I was so clever. For Sunday’s season premiere, I made a simple pot of beef and vegetable stew. I pretended it was what the folks in the fictitious Fleabottom would call “bowls of brown.” I had made it in the instant pot, and I made the mistake of taking a nap right around the time it started the pressure release. It stayed in the pot for two hours, still warm, for an extended natural release. It was bland as all get out by the time we had dinner. Maybe that could be considered more accurate, a tasteless bowl of mushy vegetables, with small bits of meat.

Today I realized what an amateur I was creating a thematic meal. Usually the caterer at Rotary is very creative. Everything is always delicious. I am beginning to suspect he also wanted to celebrate the season premiere via food. I had to skip the entrée, because it wasn’t labeled gluten free. The soup, on the other hand, was vegan and GF. It was roasted eggplant, the sign said. It was puréed into a gloopy bowl of brown. I bow to our caterer’s superior imagination. At least it tasted okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment