Sunday, April 21, 2019

Games

Inspirational song: Games Without Frontiers (Peter Gabriel)

As weeks dedicated to anxiety and dread and interminable waits go, this one has been surprisingly low-key. I had another good day of happy distractions, and you can't go wrong with that. I had to get up somewhat early, to get two giant casserole dishes of scalloped potatoes ready to go to the in-laws, and it turned into a family affair to get them prepared. I tried two different methods, neither of which I'd tried before, and they both came out just about right. One was dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan, and the other only fit the gluten-free category. I sampled both once we were at the big family Easter dinner, and I would use either of these or a combination of the two in the future, and be happy.

My sister-in-law hosted, and we got to see some of the extended family for the first time in years. It was a lovely crowd, and the food was delightful. I admit, I might have been in a bubble with everything happening on the inside of me, but to me it was a supremely pleasant gathering start to finish. There was even an Easter egg hunt for the grown-ups, although I was a little too tired to participate. My daughter came back in showing off cute little toys she got in the eggs she found, including a cat toy that vibrated when you pulled its tail. How appropriate. It was even bright green, her favorite color.

I had to have a nap between the holiday party and Game of Thrones this evening. I woke up minutes before the episode started. Luckily our neighbor had it queued up to stream, so we weren't dependent on hitting a mark on the clock to watch it. I have enjoyed several intentionally (and sometimes unintentionally) funny moments on this series, but this episode seemed far funnier than most. Neighbor T predicts that it's a breather before the upcoming dark and tragic episodes as the epic battle everyone has waited 7 seasons for arrives. I can't remember the last time we laughed out loud this much in one episode. I don't think we ever have. (No spoilers beyond that. There were just a lot of awkward moments, jests, ironic twists, and cold snaps. It was great.)

We stayed after the show to play a little Mario Party before heading home. I trailed through the entire game, until the last two rounds when I put on a burst of speed, just enough to beat the AI non-player character that rounded out our quartet. I didn't care that T and Mr S-P were neck and neck, soundly winning the game. I beat the computer-driven Yoshi, and that was all that mattered. Now I can rest easily.


No comments:

Post a Comment