Saturday, April 27, 2019

On My Own

Inspirational song: Already Gone (The Eagles)

Pain is almost completely under control. Three short days after surgery, and I'm off of prescription pain killers. I took Tylenol twice today, and that was all I needed. I mean, I'm not doing anything stupid, like lifting heavy weights or putting on a slip-on shirt over my head, but I am feeling much better.

I was improving well enough by yesterday that my mom decided I could take it from here. She left this morning, and will by home by tomorrow night. I'm really glad she was here, and she said she felt more in control of how she felt about it because she was able to be here and witness. I understand that kind of thinking. She didn't have to be a degree-holding nurse to be an important part of the process. Showing up and providing support helped a ton.

I had to give up on wearing a bra for a while. It is just too much pressure on the cut-up side. Wearing just tank tops makes it painfully obvious how extreme the size differential is now. I'm still dealing with it okay, if I take it moment to moment. No idea whether or when my emotional state might change. I expect to camouflage it when I go out in public, though. Handling it at home is one thing. Being brazen around strangers at the King Soopers is something completely different.

It's nearly impossible to stay inside and quiet when spring is moving in at such a pace. We held out as long as we could on the first mow of the season, but the dandelions and grape hyacinth were starting to take over out front. The Mr cut the grass this afternoon, and sent me a picture of our first iris blooming while he was out there. The lilacs are starting to open, with the one right next to the gate putting out more fragrance than the pinker one just a few feet away. And I was alerted today that the chokecherry tree should be in full bloom by tomorrow afternoon. I can hardly wait. I hope now that the cancer has been removed, I'll find more energy for yardwork. I did so little down here last year. This time I want to work closer to home.



No comments:

Post a Comment