Monday, April 8, 2019

Passing the Days

Inspirational song: Lunatic Fringe (Red Rider)

The point of this entire day was just to kill time until the NCAA basketball championship game, right? That's what it felt like around here, anyway. Too bad the game itself didn't pan out the way we had hoped it would on our little spot on earth. We watched it next door, on the giant teevee, and we enjoyed it right up until the last minute and a half of overtime. We wanted a Cinderella story, with an unlikely team like Texas Tech to take it all. Cinderella didn't make it tonight, though. Virginia walked away with it, but I can't say they didn't earn it. It was a good game.

I was just sure when I went out to check on the fish pond that the mighty raccoon hunter that I theorized about had visited. I pulled the flagstone slab off the pond, flooding it with light as best I could. The pump had been running for a long time, but the water was still as murky as it had ever been. I couldn't see a single fishie. I got down on my knees, and stirred a little with a stick. Nothing. I sent a message to the Mr saying I was just sure they had been sucked into the pump or something. When he got home, we drained out about half the water, until we could sort of see the bottom. There those little boogers were, hiding in the darkest part of the pond. I'm not good at this whole fish pond thing yet. I'll take practice before I know how to care for them, and be sure they're actually present and alive.

I spent another day of my interminable wait for surgery out in the back yard. I had a small table next the hot tub where the chlorine and anti-foam bottles are stored. It wasn't intended for outdoor use, and even though it has been right up next to the house, six feet or more from the edge of the covered patio, the finish was starting to look a little rough. I decided to give it a more durable cover. I sanded off the dried varnish and stain, which took far longer than I expected. So many splinters, even with 220 grit sandpaper. It put on two coats of spray primer, sanding between each one. It took another seven coats of sea glass green paint to put a decent seal on the thirsty wood. Eventually I had a proper sixty year old color decorating my sixty year old house. This place was made for turquoise accents. It just seems right.



No comments:

Post a Comment