Saturday, April 20, 2019

Delicate Balance

Inspirational song: Mother's Little Helper (Rolling Stones)

With as complex of a selection of medications and supplements that I take on a daily basis, it's easy to miss how important each individual note of that symphony actually is. I had problems with getting my mail order pharmaceuticals, and missed a key lupus drug for three weeks. I'm just now getting back up to speed on that one, having switched to my local grocery store pharmacy for it (paying four times as much). I've mentioned recently that now that I'm less than a week from surgery, I have to stop taking all anti-inflammatories and herbal supplements. I also can't take my vitamin E. By messing with this carefully crafted balance of micronutrients, I am feeling all kinds of awful. My joints are inflamed. My balance is off (and I mean that literally as well as figuratively -- I keep stumbling). I'm worn out by the shortest walks. I'm finding it difficult to use my arms to adjust myself when I sit on my bed. The hot tub only makes me tired. And I'm radiating pain from all sectors. I was holding in okay until the last day or two. Now it's just no fun.

I tried to spend a little of this beautiful spring day outside. My smaller Park is waking up. It's a little wild and wooly right now. The raspberries are proving to be the hardiest and most persistent of all our plants at this point. They're growing on three fences, including in places where they have previously been removed, and they're moving in on one of my roses. I swear, if I have to make a choice, there is no contest. Rose wins, canes lose. I will cut those puppies right out of the flower bed. Just as soon as I'm allowed to be around thorns again (not allowed within a few days of this particular surgery).

Mr S-P has started getting serious about yardwork. This morning he planted the creeping Jenny I bought around the fish pond. The raised garden beds are going back on the south side, and he has been digging out weed-choked dirt, prepping the sites. I spent more time in the sun than I ought to have to water a few things, but it was nothing compared to the hours he spent with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. I wonder whether I'll feel like helping out once this nonsense is over and I'm back on regular meds, doing regular things again.




No comments:

Post a Comment