Thursday, August 8, 2019

Miriam

Inspirational song: She's Always a Woman (Billy Joel)

Little things make me so happy these days. There was thick cloud cover most of the day, and a huge loop of monsoonal moisture streamed in from the Gulf. We never got anywhere near to the predicted high temperature, and a couple of small waves of rain rolled through. I never had to shut the windows to keep hot air out. It was just plain pleasant all day. At least, that's how it was down here in the flats. The man tried to go up to the mountain today, to haul up concrete piers for the deck and to get some prep work done before dragging our neighbor up on Sunday. It sprinkled on his way there, and about halfway up the trail, on the first trip up, it started to hail. From there to the cabin, it poured rain on him. Every time he tried to go out during a lull to do any sort of work, the skies dumped on him. He said it got so bad, he eventually just took a nap in the cabin. I suppose it's all how you look at a day like this. I would have loved to kick back and listen to the rain on the metal roof, with cool air blowing through the cabin. He would have loved to have gotten work done. Tomato/tomahto.

I had very few goals for the day. My main ambition was what the World's Okayest DM assigned me: to finish my character for the next D&D campaign. I've known who she would be for six months or more. I just dragged my feet on getting her statistics set in stone. I spent most of the day watching videos on character creation and digging through the rule book for details I never had to worry about with Gunda. I hadn't played a fighter type character in this edition of the rulebook yet, so I had a lot of things to dig up and research. It has also been many months since I read the online description of the race/species she will be, and I discovered I had not fully absorbed much of what I needed, while my brain was being hamstrung by cancer.

For the next campaign, I am playing an Amazon. I don't just mean a tall human who looks like Wonder Woman. I mean a whole new race of women who are a big step beyond that. Her name is Miriam, and she is close to seven feet tall. Her species matures as teenagers, but can live over 200 years, without the appearance of aging. She's incredibly strong and resilient, with a strong tendency towards bombastic charm. As a noble, she has chosen to become a paladin, a knight committed to upholding the law, leading and protecting others, and healing her compatriots as needed. She's a talented fighter, wielding a frightening double-bladed glaive that befits a woman of her stature. Her fine clothes and chain mail are of exquisite materials in black, white, and blue, and her shield is adorned with a blue infinity symbol, overlaid with the figure of a magpie. Her complexion is a deep olive, her eyes are leaf green, and her dark chestnut red hair curls into a short bob just below her jawline. She is strikingly beautiful, resembling a young Barbra Streisand, but her voice gets a bit like Madeline Kahn's when she's upset.

Miriam travels with three retainers--a squire, a valet, and a messenger. However, her messenger has recently run off to find her own way in the world. Miriam is feeling a keen sense of loss and is currently split between worrying about the girl and wondering how on earth she can find another who would be worthy to fill the vacancy left by the desertion. She has also attained an age where her biological clock has started ticking, and she's starting to have dreams of motherhood that alarm her during her waking hours. Her profession and lifestyle thousands of miles away from her own people do not allow for any possibility of a family at this point, and she's feeling stress over her conflicted emotions.


No comments:

Post a Comment