Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Not Ready

Inspirational song: Walking on the Sun (Smash Mouth)

After nearly two weeks of cowering under cover to avoid the sun and heat, and generally not being up to gadding about town, I wiped on a layer of sunscreen, grabbed a CU ball cap, and took my chance to change my scenery. I had skipped my regular Rotary meeting at lunch today, for not being mentally clear enough to drive myself there, nor energetic enough to climb the stairs from the parking lot. When a second opportunity to escape my hermit hideout came along, I seized it, even if it was just a trip to the big salvage lot in Boulder.

Because of the nature of the trip, we were in the truck, which has no a/c. It wasn’t too bad on the way there, with broken clouds and a highway breeze. By the time we parked, the entirety of Resource was as hot as the surface of the sun, and all clouds were gone. I had the stamina to see the rain barrel he had gone there to acquire, and then I lumbered directly to the warehouse to find a chair. I had been so pleased to be invited out of the house for fresh air, yet here I was, slumped on a pleather dining chair, blowing it.

The heat and UV light sucked all the good out of me. I was beyond tired when we got home, and more than a little loopy. I tried to sit in the hot tub and relax, but even that was short-lived. The water was too hot, and sitting on the side of the tub made me fearful of passing out and falling backwards on my head. I’ve made a ton of progress since my white blood cell count bottomed out last week, but I have miles to go. And the next two weeks (at least) will be in the 90s. Back to the hermit cave for me.

(Darn if I didn’t forget to take pictures today. I’ll work on that for tomorrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment