Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Night Before

Inspirational song: Tomorrow (Annie)

Not sure I’ll sleep much tonight, for two solid reasons. One, I needed another long, deep nap this afternoon, after getting blood drawn (a life-long problem), and being out in the sun in the middle of the day. Two, tomorrow is the last treatment, and I haven’t yet packed my bag. I have special things to take with me for this final round: toys from my older daughter, the flower bracelet from my younger one, and the quilt that my dad had made for me. I’ve also picked out which hat to wear, from a second set of them hand-knitted by my sister-in-law. I’m so ready to get this over with. I don’t want to feel yucky from Sunday through most of next week, but that’s part of the deal. And from there, improvement will be steady.

My visit with the doctor went well. She said my bloodwork looked great, even considering where it was two weeks ago. She and the nurse both remarked how I was the kind of person who would get very sick, but bounce back quickly and strongly. I didn’t say it, but that might be the lupus talking. I asked some key questions, like how soon can I get this annoying port out of my chest. She assured me it can come out right away. We don’t expect to do any more rounds, so she sent the referral over for an appointment to cut it out. I also asked how soon to expect my hair to come back. That answer was six to eight weeks for stubbly hair, which perfectly matches my goal of having some hair by my birthday. Doc shared that her own mother’s hair grew back both thick and curly. I asked how long it stayed that way, and she said it was a permanent change. That makes two people I know of who I’ve been told kept their cancer curls, and two who I’ve observed but haven’t asked what their hair was like before. I’m really looking forward to discovering what mine will do. Almost guaranteed: salt and pepper, heavy on the salt.

I went to Lowe’s this morning, with my foster son-in-law and his bigger vehicle. I decided that it would be more work than it was worth to use the chippy reclaimed plywood for the base of my table. I bought a thinner sheet of a better grade, to minimize sanding and weight. I also got wood screws, paint, wood glue, and most importantly, a 4 inch hole saw. There will be ten cup holders around this big monster, and there was no way I could survive making those with a jigsaw. I’m pretty sure the trip around Lowe’s, loading the car in the sun, and forgetting to eat until well after noon on a blood draw day was what led to my extreme nap. So here I am, done blogging, so I can go pack my chemo bag. Watch for me tomorrow, ringing the “last treatment” bell!

No comments:

Post a Comment