Sunday, June 21, 2020

Best Day

Inspirational song: Veronica (Elvis Costello)

Simple days are often the best days. I have proof of that and the end of one of those days. When our daughter's birthday happened to fall on Father's Day, it was decided that the preferred way to celebrate both would be to hang out here all day.

I made brunch for everyone (including the best cassava flour crepes in the world), and we all just sat around, passing a sleeping baby between us, and enjoyed each other's company. We video chatted with my dad, watched some YouTube videos (feel free to check out Detail Geek like we did) and closed the evening by listening to the kids take turns reading chapters from a book that means a lot to them. This day could not have been more relaxing or soothing. All holidays should be this easy.

Side note on something I have been meaning to address: I have decided to stop using my grandbaby's given name in the blog. I don't use anyone's name other than my own, out of the habit I developed early on for the sake of privacy. Before she was born, from the first night I learned someone would be coming but wasn't going to know who until she actually arrived, I have been calling her by the same nickname--Dino. Pronounced like the pet dinosaur on the Flintstones, dee-no. I think from now on, I'll use that in this space. Even a little baby has the right to a little privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment