Saturday, June 6, 2020

In Hot Water

Inspirational song: The Heat Is On (Glenn Frey)

We got a text yesterday. "The hot water heater boiled over a smidge." It was time for the next lesson in the joys of home ownership for the kids. We went over briefly yesterday afternoon, so the Mr could evaluate the situation, and back again this morning in the truck, so they could go to Lowe's and pick up a new one.

At first I thought my job was only to hold the baby for 45 minutes, while my daughter and husband went to make a purchase. I had no idea it would turn into nine hours of tag teaming it, passing the baby between four of us, while this one maintenance project turned into a massive effort. The last time I had an old water heater fail, the Mr was on a deployment, and I hired out a team of professionals. I had no idea how long it took to get an old heater drained and carried up from a basement. The new one came in, and as they brought it in, they discovered they had purchased the wrong size on two accessories. They had to go back to Lowe's. And before the night was over, they had to go a third time. 

I didn't realize how quickly I would tire, spending most of my time on a couch. But being in an environment outside of my routine strained my limits. I didn't have the ability to put my feet up as much as my joints required. I sat awkwardly. Little things started to pile up until I hurt everywhere. It is leading me to conclude that if I am to become a primary babysitter once the kids go back to work after maternity leave, I will be better off watching the baby from home. This changes my calculus on how baby-friendly/safe this house needs to be. I gotta get busy, before Val starts crawling.

No comments:

Post a Comment