Saturday, June 27, 2020

Day of Rest

Inspirational song: Peace Train (Cat Stevens)

Somebody is finally ready to behave like we aren’t teenagers anymore. What, did you think I meant me? Nah, I left that mindset years ago, when I learned that one wasn’t required to do cross country drives in one brutal long shot, and that stopping for hotels was a worthwhile expense. I mean the Mr is facing that reality, after much the same motivation. He completed a quick trip down to New Mexico last night, to rebuild the gate in the concrete block fence at the rental house. He left on Wednesday, worked Thursday and half of Friday, and drove home last night. When he arrived at 11:30, he slumped in the doorframe, and mumbled about how hard it was. I said yeah, because you aren’t a kid anymore! He pretended to deny it, but I know he is feeling it. It makes me hurt just to imagine doing all that in one week now.

I did quite enough deep cleaning and decided I needed a day off too. Most of one, anyway. I tried a little experiment with bleach gel and a stiff detail brush on the kitchen grout, and decided it wasn’t worth wrecking my hips and lungs by sitting on the tile floor sniffing bleach for hours. It got cleaner, but not enough to be worth the damage. I got through an area about 8 x 2 feet, and gave up. I rested after that.

We had a pair of visitors during the afternoon. Our daughter and granddaughter stopped in to look over some landscaping rocks that came home from the New Mexico house, to see which ones she wants. I got some quality baby snuggles, but she adamantly refused to give me a straight up smile. She was a little on the grumpy side for me, but of course she flirted like crazy with her grandpa. Once she went home and had a bath and fresh jammies, she was all smiles. I got to see them in pictures, not in person. My time will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment