Monday, June 29, 2020

Choose

Inspirational song: Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby (Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss, and Gillian Welch)

At four o'clock this morning, I woke up for the third time. I picked up my phone, and opened Twitter. Why not? I reasoned. Going back to sleep was already going to be hard. I might as well get started on east coast news. I scrolled for a solid 45 minutes before I was ready to give up and sleep again.

A lot of my attempts to sleep go like this. I usually don't get out of bed to stay until closer to 8 most days, but I've generally stopped trying to sleep by 7:15 or so. It means I get groggy at various points during the day, usually needing a solid nap by 3 each afternoon. Yesterday was even worse. I fell asleep in a chair, after my second cup of coffee. I shouldn't have this much trouble getting decent sleep. And this doesn't touch on how much my spine and hips have been bugging me lately.

For months I've been saving up to buy a fancy Purple mattress. I had decided that their premier hybrid 3 was perfect for me, and I was trying to set aside enough to pay cash (no financing), for the mattress and an adjustable base. It was a ridiculous amount. Then I read reviews of their base, and the problems people had with the electronics failing. So then I thought maybe I could get a base at Costco, and the mattress locally, hoping that would mean someone would help haul off the old bed. It would mean a savings off the top of around $1800. Seemed like a plan.

Today I opened an email from Costco. They offered a split king made with "cooling gel" memory foam and an aerated latex pad, to achieve the same effect as the Purple, plus the base, for the low, low price of $1600 all in. That is a third of what I expected to pay when I got this idea months ago. Will this mattress be tolerable? Will I actually sleep through a night? Don't know. But tonight I made the leap, and ordered it. I have plans for how to handle it if it doesn't work for me. 

I got to hold my baby girl this evening. We had a late lunch together, and I was charmed by how well Dino can hold her head up now, and after holding her and patting her back long enough to elicit a large burp, I was rewarded with her looking right at me, recognizing me by my glasses, and smiling and cooing at me. These are the moments I live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment